Monday 4 May 2020

I'm Thinking of Ending Things | Iain Reid | Book Review

I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid
AMAZON: INDIA | US


Weird and kind of unexpected.... but in a good way!

This was such a unique experience for me. I went into this book knowing that the twist is quite polarizing among readers and not fully understandable. And I completely agree why.

It started out with a basic scenario - Jake and his unnamed girlfriend are heading towards a secluded farm to meet Jake’s parents. His Girlfriend is thinking of ending things with him and trying to justify and debate the reasoning with herself before confronting.

In the middle of this, there is also a strange man who is leaving missed calls and creepy messages to the girlfriend. On their way, the couple has discussions related to relationship, solitude, memory and some other random philosophical things.

"Just tell your story. Pretty much all memory is fiction and heavily edited. So just keep going."

"The more we tell ourselves that we should always be happy, that happiness is an end in itself, the worse it gets."

And for the major part of the book I seriously had no idea where we were going with this story. There were so many directions this book could have gone at that point, but then they finally reached their destination and met the parents. But after that the things got interesting as we had more creepiness and suspense in the story. And then something else happened, and the story took a bizarre turn and got more creepy. The ending was not very predictable but as the author gave us so many clues, I kind of also went through that possibility in my mind. So, I was not shocked, but still loved the ending and the way it was executed.

I really liked Iain Reid’s writing, it was introspective, atmospheric and creepy. The first 30% was a little slow for me but I loved the second half of the book. This is one book where author left a lot for its reader to make sense of. Not sure if I understood every single thing, but it was enough for me to appreciate the book. 

Will surely read more by Iain Reid in future!


OVERALL RATING : 4/5


AMAZON: INDIA | US

0 comments:

Post a Comment