Wednesday 25 March 2020

Book Thoughts | The Broken Girls by Simone St. James

 The Broken Girls by Simone St James

The Broken Girls is a suspenseful, creepy unresolved mystery kind of book with great ghost story and historical elements mixed into it! This has to be my favourite read so far this year, I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

So, we are following two timelines - past (1950) and present (2014) in Vermont, both somehow connected to this Boarding School called 'Idlewild Hall'. In 1950, we follows four roommates, who bonds over the haunted stories of Mary Hand, a ghost rumored to be haunting this school. In 2014, we are following Fiona Sheridan, a journalist who is still not over her sister's murder which happened over 20 years ago. Her murder was resolved and the guilty party was convicted. But Fiona still is not convinced that this is the whole truth. Her search for uncovering the whole truth leads us deep within the history of Idlewild Hall and an unresolved disappearance that happen in that other timeline.

I loved both timelines, but my favourite was the 1950 one, which was more creepy and atmospheric with awesome friendships between all girls. All four girls had a very different personalities and past, which we slowly gets to know. 2014 timeline was more on the mystery/suspense side, where we follow Fiona as she is uncovering the past and what actually happened to her sister in 1994 and girls in 1950.

The best part of this book was that it was not at all what I expected when I started. There were few expected turns but mostly it went on a totally different direction. I felt very connected with all the characters and was able to empathize a lot. This is definitely one book which is going to stick with me for various reasons for a very long time. My first Simone St James book and I loved her writing style, it was atmospheric and engaging. Will be picking more from her!

FULL RATINGS - 5/5 

0 comments:

Post a Comment