Friday 31 August 2018

Reading Updates - My August Wrap Up! (2018)

This was my worst reading month this year so far,I really do not have that many books to show you as I only read two books this month.I am in middle of two other books in which I could not get into and that actually put me in a massive reading slump.

So let's discuss my short and quick wrap up list for now- 


The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang



The Poppy war by R.F. Kuang

This is the debut novel of Asian-American author 'R.F.Kuang' who wanted to write about asian war and wanted to show the real face of it. And she manages to pulls it off spectacularly in this Military Fantasy with asian history and mythology.This book takes no shit and shows as it is, the grimdark and bloody face of war between two nations.

Set in the world of Nikara empire,an empire with bloody history of opium, this tells us story of Rin and how from a shopgirl, she emerge as a warrior with shamanic powers and her struggles in reaching to that point.You will be surprised with the shifting of tone and pace from the first part till it reaches its end in third.I loved it and gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars and cannot wait for second novel to come out in this trilogy.

You can see my full review here


Stygian (Dark Hunter #29) by Sherrilyn Kenyon




Well...this is one book in a wayyy too long series so I am not going to discuss it much.But if you have been a part of this Dark Hunter fandom, you will know that this is about one of our long awaited hero, Urian, whom we have met many books ago and knows how much he went through.This is basically his story from the start, even before his birth.

I Ioved around 80% of this story. After that, most parts were the repetition of the scenes from other books but from Urian's POV. My main issue was the last few chapters which were so quick and abrupt that I actually wondered if I missed something in between. Adding few more chapters in last few pages and giving us a satisfactory resolution of everything would have been much better.I was left little disappointed, not with the ending but how easily and abruptly everything was resolved.

I thought about writing its review but writing a review for 29th book in a series all of a sudden does not make sense so I am thinking of re-reading this series from the start and take you through all books reviews as this is a quite complex world with a huge list of characters.I have lot to say about each books.So watch out for my reviews of all books came so far in this humongous series in future. Definitely will be updating you!
By then maybe we will have next one come out 😉

For now, this was overall 3.75 stars for me as I love all the characters especially my Urian and her lady love at the end!

You can see my Goodreads review here

0 comments:

Post a Comment