Sunday 24 June 2018

Book Review - Magician : Apprentice (Riftwar Saga #1) by Raymond E Feist

Magician:Apprentice
Summary -

Growing up in the castle of Duke of Crydee, Pug is an orphan who along with his friend Tomas, awaits for his choosing (education) which will decide his future on the day of Midsummer.Imagine his surprise when he becomes an apprentice of Duke's Master Magician.From there onwards starts his adventure, first in castle where he emerges higher in rank among the royals and in magic, then to a journey all over 'The Kingdom' to aware the other cities and clans about an alien force invasion seen near the coastal province, Crydee .Why are these alien force trying to infiltrate the westlands of the kingdom? Where did they come from? Will Pug and others be able to stop them or their nation will become slaves to these outwordly empire?

My Thoughts -

This is quite an old fantasy, first published in eighties and then republished as author's preferred edition in 1992.Overall, I loved Raymond E Feist's writing and his description of the world of Midkemia, which was very descriptive and captivating.
It is not only about our protagonist, Pug (weird name, I know!) but also shifted focus to other characters in each chapter as per the direction of the story.The plot as a whole could be divided into three parts, all of it took place in the span of few years.

First part of the story was more about Pug and how he deals with his new status, second part was all about the travelling and Pug's and other character's journey, where we gets to see more of this world and the last but not the least third part, was more focused on politics, war and was the most action packed one out of all three and which I enjoyed reading the most! 

What I did not like was the romance in the first part, there was a love triangle which in my opinion was not necessary and could have been skipped.I was also little bored in that first part and had to forced myself there a little bit.But as the story progressed and we got to the  more adventurous part , it once again picked my interest and I was interested to see what will happen next. 

I was also little disappointed to see very few female characters in the book and would like to see more females in action in the next one.The magical aspect of the story was very underdeveloped in the second and third part of the story on Pug's side , but I guess this will be explored in the further books so I will be patient on that one!

Still, by the end of the book I was invested enough to care about all the characters,I loved Pug,Tomas,Arutha,Martin and other characters and would love to continue with the next book, 'Magician : Master', 2nd one in the series to see what will happen to all these characters and how this story will further take place.

Overall Rating - 3.75 Stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment