Monday 17 June 2019

The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker,Kingbreaker #2) by Karen Miller

The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker,Kingbreaker #2) by Karen Miller


I really liked the first one - 'The Innocent Mage' a lot and the way it ended kind of abruptly on a cliffhanger made me really picked this one kind of right away! It was kind of mix of good and bad things for me and quite average as compared to the first part!

My biggest problem with this was the pacing. In the first 70-80% of the book, nothing much of significance happened and last 20% book we had all the revelations. Final showdown for which we had all that buildup throughout the whole two books, was quite underwhelming!

As you can see from the title, you would think that this whole book is about Asher getting to know about his powers and dealing with all the stuff he was clueless about in the first book (but we as a reader know!). But NOTHING like that happened, that part of getting know about himself also happened in the last few chapters which was a massive let down for me!

The only saving grace for this book was its political intrigue and my attachment with these characters from the previous book, otherwise, I would have rated it even less.  The ending for some of my favourite characters was quite rough and it really broke my heart!

Even after finishing both books, I did not have a clear grasp of their magic system and the world, hence many things felt unfinished in some ways. But as we have a prequel after released after this explaining how it all started, I guess that will provide us with more explanations and understanding of things. But I am going to take some time before picking the third one and next series by Karen Miller for now!

MY RATING - 3 Stars!

First Book Review - The Innocent Mage



0 comments:

Post a Comment