Tuesday 23 April 2019

Book Review - Salem's Lot by Stephen King



Book Review - Salem's Lot by Stephen King


Premise

In the hopes of writing his novel and getting away from life in city after his wife's death, Ben Mears comes back to his once childhood residence -Jerusalem AKA Salem's Lot. Even after so many years, he still has all the memories of the small town intact, especially of the haunted and creepy Marsten house on the top of the hill.There is just something about that house that still gives him chill. Now, as new owners occupies the house, people starts disappearing and dying - Ben started suspecting that his once childhood fear is going to come back and haunt him more personally this time along with the residents of Salem's lot.

MY THOUGHTS -

Salem's lot is my third read of 2019 by Stephen king and his second published novel after 'Carrie'. And I have to say this one was much more interesting to read than Carrie, even if a bit unnecessarily long.

My favourite thing about the book was definitely the story and how it was shown through different characters in the town.

I will admit that I am not a big fan of King's writing, which always is overly descriptive and reads very slow. Like the previous two of his books, these two were my main issues with this one also. So many times I lost my interest and felt like I was reading it forever. But the ending did satisfy and I felt like I have achieved something momentous.

We gets to see the whole story and how all this horror starts through different POVs of the town residents.Even though my mind was not able to follow through so many names, I liked getting into all characters mind. King really is good with showing the creepiness and evil psyche of human mind. Unlike 'Carrie', where I was unable to get into any of the characters, this one had characters whom I was able to root for. Even the unlikable one were interesting to read, that was definitely a plus.

Another thing which usually I find irritating in King's novel is the use of homophobic slurs and unnecessary crass words, which I understand is quite appropriate with the timeline it was written in, but it still lessens my reading enjoyment while reading.

So overall, this is my favourite among all the Stephen king's novel but definitely not my favourite in this genre, so still waiting for that one from him.

BUY A COPY FROM AMAZON - AMAZON US /AMAZON INDIA / AMAZON UK


0 comments:

Post a Comment