Wednesday 3 October 2018

Book Review | The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking #2) by Patrick Ness


The Ask and The Answer by Patrick Ness


Continuing the story after the cliffhanger set in the first book, 'the Ask and the Answer' follows Todd and Viola as now they are forced to join the New Prentisstown (earlier called 'Haven') and Mayor as their new president.Story progresses as both are forced to choose sides for each other's sake. Now...will they ever be able to reconnect and put everything that has happened and is happening behind or will this be the end for them...once and for all?

My thoughts

- I will admit that I am not a super big fan of the first book,'the knife of never letting go'. While I loved the unpredictability of the plot , I was not a big fan of Todd at all. I did sympathize with him in this one and kind of warmed up to him. Still.... I like Viola a lot better than him. Other characters,whether right or wrong, were greatly portrayed and had a depth in them.

- At one point I thought that Patrick Ness is going to bring the worst trope of all the time for me i.e Love Triangle but it was avoided and I breathed a big sigh of relief. I was so happy that we did not go to THAT PHASE!!!But really!! Lee was an unnecessary and unused character in this one.

- I loved Patrick Ness's writing and the unpredictability of the plot. Every chapter kept me on the edge and I loved the unexpected turn the book took in the very last chapter! My only issue was with pacing, it was very slow in some places and felt like we are going through same things again and again, especially the prolonged separation of Viola and Todd and their parts in opposite sides was little forced.

Overall this was a good YA story and that ending really made me excited to pick next one.Really pumped to conclude this trilogy with 'Monsters and the Men' and short stories!

Rating - 4 out of 5 Stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment