Saturday 22 September 2018

Book Review - Horns by Joe Hill




One year after his girlfriend Merrin's death, Ig Perrish, a man who is also a suspect in Merrin's death and rape case ,wakes up after a drunken night and finds himself with two growing horns on his head and some kind of power which invokes the real dark truths and desires in every other person he meets. And just like this he finds himself very close to the real murderer of his girlfriend.But what he actually finds is even more dark and sinister than he can imagine...especially if he is becoming one of them!


My Thoughts


Overall it was an okay book.There were few parts I really liked and other few I found boring and little dragged out.Told from the third person narrative, book is sectioned into five parts with ten chapters each , every section fluctuates between past and present time.


What I Liked!


- I really liked the Present chapters of each sections where we see how Ig finds out more and more about his dark powers and how he uses them in persuading others. Every next person he met had something real creepy and horrible secrets to disclose and that was interesting to see even if it was a little creepy and depressing.

- The overall premise and tone of the book was good.It was little spooky and really kept me interested at certain points.

- Relationship between Ig and Merrin was really good.I liked them as a couple.Even hot and cold relationship of Ig with his brother Terry was good.


What I did not Like!


- As much as I enjoyed the present time story and pacing, I hated chapters with flashbacks. Few of these chapters were overly descriptive and little slow. I struggled through them a lot.

- Over Descriptive writing style.Too many words and details for a very short scene...At some places (like in the first section) this was interesting but more often than not I was bored.

The last 30% of the book!! It was hell for me to read.Everything felt rushed and underwhelming,I seriously did not care about it at all. There were so many things which were not clear to me or left unexplained and last 10% of the book really went over my head. I know what happened at the end but have no freaking clue what actually happened in between. It was that boring!!!!

Overall Rating - ☆☆☆


0 comments:

Post a Comment