Friday 15 June 2018

My Fantasy Recommendations - Part 1

I am going to admit that I have not read many fantasies in my life, I started indulging more into fantasy from this year only. But as I look back to my past 5 months reading journey,I have managed to accumulate some good fantasy reads.So That's what I am going to recommend to you guys today.My fantasy recommendations based on my reads -

1) Seven Realms Series by Cinda Williams Chima-


Seven Realms Series by Cinda Williams Chima
Check this out at Goodreads

About Series -

I started my fantasy year with this series.I  must confess that I was not a super big fan of the series when I read first and second book.I did not like the female protagonist at first that much.But this series did win me over by the end of the series.We had great character development further down the line and I loved 'Gray Wolf Throne' and 'Crimson Crown'.The Crimson Crown was my favourite book in the series.

If you like YA fantasy with romance,war and lots of politics (more in 3rd and 4th book) and great development of all the characters then I guess this is one series you should pick up.

FUNFACT - Apparently we have another ongoing series set right after 20 years of where this series ends,its called 'Shattered Realms' and is well loved by the readers.
I have not read it but its going to be on my TBR very soon

2) Lumatare Chronicles by Melina Marchetta -


Check this out at Goodreads

Now this was a pleasant surprise for me.

I did not anticipate mind blowing blast of awesomeness, that this Lumatere chronicles actually is!!
What started out with a kingdom, Lumatere, lost and divided due to a curse & deception and many years later with the only alive heir of the throne coming back to reclaim it, becomes much more of the interesting, emotional,brain hooking bundle of these precious trilogy.

I loved this series's characters; their strength, team work and always doing what is right for their people.This is not only about a lost kingdom trying to rebuild, but also about the relations with other neighboring countries.After first book, 'Finnikin of the rock' you would think Lumatere gets its happily ever after but no!!! It deals with something much deeper than that ,it gives us a deeper insight of the repercussions of what transpired ten years ago and in between those years.And that's what you will see in other two books 'Froi of the Exile' and Quintana of Charyn' from multiple perspectives

I will highly recommend this one if you really like reading about Lost Kingdoms,Great Flawed Characters teaming up and going for quests to achieve something big, ability to stand up after major falling downs and last but not the least....lots of Political intrigues!!! (My Favourite but that mainly comes in later books)

3) Queen's Thief Series by Megan Whalen Turner -


Check this out at Goodreads

What can I say about it 😊😊 This is my favourite fantasy series of all time!!

I adored all characters from these books.Our main protagonist,Gen, is my favourite book character/Hero of all time.He is snarky,smartass, courageous, some time arrogant and the most super loyal character I have ever read in my life.He is flawed....he is many times wrong....is  not so perfect and that my friends !! is what I like most in my characters.
This series starts from book one 'The Thief' which is I would say is my least favourite book in the series.But what this book sets up and evolves into in the next series of books, is the masterpiece and my previous 'Gen' ( 'Gen'...Gem...Got it 😉)

This is a pure political fantasy series with lots of the shifting dynamics and tension between our main three neigbour countries Eddis,Sounis and Attolia.You will see how Gen is connected to all this.
This series  has some weird and different narration shiftings in later books and you will be surprised to see how from different perspective we get to see more about our main character Gen in all five books released till now.Not sure whether there are going to be any more books further,but I will suggest you can still read these five books as we do not have any cliffhanger in the lastest one.

This is a Political Fantasy series with some surprised elements of romance in it. So if you like Annoyingly Lovable main protagonist, politics with romance in most unexpected ways,shady characters whom you do not know whether to support or revolt.. in your books,this is your Gem..(sorry can't help myself with the pun 😇)

4) Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A Nielson


Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A Nielsen
Check this out at Goodreads

This is my least favourite in all these five series but that is completely me,you may grow to love or hate this series,totally depends on your taste and liking
.
This series starts with a bang in the form of first book ' The False Prince'  with a great sassy character who reminded me a lot of 'Gen' from the Queen's thief series in the first book. I loved the characters,world and great twist n turns but my issue started with second and third books.There was some predictability and unconvincing plot line involved which brought this story a little down for me.I felt as if there was some under development in some areas and character arcs.

But if you really like YA Fantasy with awesome characters and good political drama then this one is for you!

5) Codex Alera by Jim Butcher -



Check this out at Goodreads

Ever heard of Roman and Pokemon in one place? No? But big fan of both of these? Yes? then this is one highly recommended series for you!

It involves awesome magic in the form of elemental furies!Lots of Roman style war and great awesome characters and couples.Add in the little bit of political intrigue,there you go..... you got a perfect fantasy dream team for you!

Need I say more!!It's an awesome collection of six books with great action and character development

So those are all my fantasy books recommendation for you!I am pretty sure I will need to update it in few months but If you are new to fantasy and don't know what to read,these are some references for you.

Enjoy! 🙋

0 comments:

Post a Comment