Tuesday 15 May 2018

Book Read | Furies of Calderon - Book 1 of Codex Alera Series by Jim Butcher

As part of my My TBR Plan discussed in previous post ,I picked this first book of a very well received yet little Underrated high fantasy six book series 'Codex Alera' by Jim Butcher 


Furies of Calderon


About Book -

This book takes place in a kind of old/falling Roman Empire named 'Alera' ruled by the First Lord 'Gaius Sextus' whose health is slowly declining and with no apparent heir to pass on the title,he is on the verge of possible attacks and conspiracies by many of his High Lords in the realm.
Just away from all these city nuisance is a valley called 'Calderon' which have different villages called steadholts and named after the owner of that village(stead).This first book is basically focus on Calderon Valley and the people in it.We follow four different perspectives,characters from both from Calderon and Alerian Imperial.

What I most like about it was the magic in this book.All people in Alera have the ability to craft and control elements called furies.Some people have one,some more than one and these furies can take shape of animals,images etc.Every Alerian after reaching an age of maturity gets fury except our protagonist 'Tavi' who at the age of fifteen, still not have achieved his fury. Furyless but Courageous and intelligent ,he makes up for the lack of craft magic with his wits and skill.I completely adored Tavi,he was my favourite among all other characters and I loved most of the characters in the book.It also had few despicable characters whom I wanted to smack so badly.

I loved Jim Butcher writing,it was good.My favourite part was the fury crafting and the world building.One third of the book was mainly about the war and battle and it completely blew my mind.

There were lots of questions and unanswered puzzles left by the end of he book which definitely will make the reader to rush towards the second book and I cannot wait to find out and read the next one 'Acedem's Fury' right away.

A ☆☆☆☆☆ Rated Book for me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment