Sunday 11 August 2019

(A Very Late) July Wrap up | 2019

This was quite a great month for me. I read so much and managed to finished 14 books, quite a high number for me! Out of those, 4 were from my TBR, so I feel great! :-)))







Lovesongs Series by Megan Derr
- This series was a let down for me. We have a total of 4 books about a band and each book follows a band member's love story. I gave the first and second book 4 stars and rest two books were three stars read for me. 

Despite my high rating, the first book 'The Missing Butterfly' was an underwhelming read for me, as I was expecting to totally love this book. The premise was cool, in the end, I still liked it but it was pretty forgettable and quite okay.


The second book 'Love you like a romance novel' was quite good and despite that unrhyming weird title I liked it. But with the third and fourth one - 'Shine Forever' and 'Two for the show', this series went downhill for me. I liked the characters but the story and their relationship were quite average for me.

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon (Rest of 30%)
- After reading it for the last three months, I finally finished it and while I really liked the world-building and concept of the book, the execution was quite slow and disappointing in some places. 

It was a 3.5 Stars read for me. Full review here

Unwind (Unwind #1) by Neal Shusterman
 - A complete surprise and a very unique premise. It was everything I would like to read in my YA dystopian series, but fortunately, this world has more books for me to read, which I will definitely do!

4.75 Stars! Full Review here

Queen's Thief (Book 2 & 3) by Megan Whalen Turner (Reread)
 - This was my reread for this awesome series. Still one of my favs! The way Megan Whalen Turner takes the whole story and politics on another level, just make me gobble it all up so fast! Very eagerly waiting for the sixth book. in the meanwhile, I still have 4th & 5th book for the reread! Full 5 Stars!

Winston Brothers (Books 0.5-4) by Penny Reid
 - It was an unexpected read for me. I read the first four books plus one related book from another spin-off series (Knitting in the city #4). It was a fun time, enjoyed the heck out of it. My favourite has to be 'Grin and beard it' so far and cannot wait to read about the youngest Winston 'Roscoe' next. But for me, the most anticipated book has to be about Billy which has yet to come out.

Ratings


#0.5 Beauty and the Mustache - 3 Stars
#1 Truth or Beard - 4 Stars

#2 Grin & Beard it - 5 Stars
#3 Beard Science - 5 Stars
#4 Beard in Mind - 5 Stars



Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne
 - I have no words to express how I felt about this one. So different from my usual go-to books, this was a complete change for me and I came out quite a bit disturbed and affected from this. 

When ambition takes a very dark turn, you see the ugly nature of a human being. This is the story of Maurice, an aspiring writer and the people in his life he ruins due to his ambition. It was definitely a sad experience for me and I felt bad for so many characters. But I loved the way Boyne portrayed this story and loved to hate the MC from every fibre of my being.

Rating - 4 Stars!


********************************************************************

0 comments:

Post a Comment