Wednesday 5 December 2018

Book Review | Blood Song (Raven's Shadow #1) by Anthony Ryan




Blood Song (Raven's Shadow #1)  by Anthony Ryan



SUMMARY

Blood Song follows 'Vaelin Al Sorna', as he is narrating his story to a historian of an enemy nation while travelling to face a duel that could be the last fight of his life. The whole story basically covers the narration of Vaelin's life and how he came into this situation. It starts when a ten year old Vaelin is abandoned by his father at the iron gate of the sixth order of the faith (faith is the dominant religion of the realm) to train as a brother of the order. The novice brothers of the sixth order are trained from childhood to be warriors to fight for the Faith and to defend Faithful. What follows next is an epic journey with the elements of school setting,training ,trials, brotherhood and the very main theme of the story.....WAR!!!


MY THOUGHTS


I really liked the whole setup and how it was crafted masterfully with engaging world and characters. Known to follow 'Kingkiller Chronicles' unique setup, which having not read yet, makes this first fantasy book with life story narration setup read for me and I completely loved it. Add the schooling/training aspect with interesting and engaging trials and I was completely hooked despite of my worst reading slump! Faith and religion was a very prominent part of this world and this society showed the intolerance among people for those who were not believers, which is a harsh reality of our society also.You can try to spread that belief , but you cannot condemn other person for not believing and following your path, which is the great moral and thing to understand. It was showed as a part of conflict in this world and I really would like to see it discussed further in the series.

This was one of the few fantasy books I have read where magic was not a very dominant part of the society. It is kind of taboo and unfamiliar to the world and that kind of made story even more exciting. All my favourite tropes grouped together created this awesome book!

I really liked 'Vaelin Al Sorna' as our main protagonist, even his life as a teenager did not bother me, which usually does when I am reading a YA book with all cliches I cannot stand, this gladly missed all that . Romance was a part of the story but not a big part which was a plus for me.

Writing was good and easy to read.There were lots of punctuation errors and this book could have done better with a proof reading. If you can ignore it, this can be an action packed- one - of the favourites kind of fantasy book for you guys too!

Blood Song really made me happy and eager to follow the second book 'Tower Lord'. I cannot wait for that one to pick!!

Full ☆☆☆☆☆ Stars!


********************************************************


Get this Book on Amazon!


0 comments:

Post a Comment