Saturday 14 April 2018

Book Series Review - Seven Realms Series by Cinda Williams Chima

In the starting of 2018, I promised myself that I am going to broaden my horizon of Fantasy Genre by indulging myself into some well-loved Fantasy series. So, I went with this series by the recommendation of one of my favourite booktuber.

And boy oh boy...It was a great journey for me! Seven Realms was a great start for this year and I was completely engrossed in all four books.

All Books in the series

How Book One Starts?

One day Han Alister catches three young wizard setting fire to the sacred mountain of Hanalea. Han takes an amulet away from Micah Bayar, son of the High Wizard, to ensure the boy won’t use it against him. The amulet once belonged to the Demon King, who nearly destroyed the world a millennium ago. With a magical piece so powerful at stake, Han knows that the Bayars will stop at nothing to get it back.

Meanwhile, Princess Raisa ana’Marianna has her own battle to fight. She’s just returned to court after three years of riding and hunting with her father’s family. Raia aspires to be like Hanalea, the legendary warrior queen who killed the Demon King and saved the world. But it seems that her mother has other plans for her plans that include a suitor who goes against everything the Queendom stands for.

My Thoughts -

Seven Realms is a YA Fantasy book series (2009-2012) written in dual perspectives (sometimes multi). Set in the Queendom of the fells,the series starts with 'The Demon King' which introduces our main protagonists, Han and Raisa. 

Both are from the complete far end of the social spectrum - Han is a former street lord of Rag Market and lives with his mother and sister in poverty, whereas Raisa ana'Marianna is a princess as well as heir of the Fells. 

The story starts when Han gets in possession of an amulet with the dark magic history behind it and we gets to see both Han and Raisa's journey and how their world collides.

Each book progresses the story in continuation of the last book and brings us lots of action, politics, romance and ultimate conclusion to this series with 'The Crimson Crown'

Characters - 

I loved Han as our main hero, he faces loss, anger and hatred of other people a lot throughout the series but that only makes him strong and a great inspiration to us all.

But I had a lot of issue with Raisa, especially in book one & two. For someone who should be more responsible as future heir of the throne and is in lots of trouble, her thoughts are always consumed by boys around her. She acts like our typical chick lit teen drama heroine which I despised. 

I hated the romance at the starting of the book but it gets better later.

I liked her bravery and character development in the later books but she still was not one of my favourite character in the books, I was less engrossed in her part of the chapters. 

Aside from that, I loved every other supporting character in the series, Amon, Cat, Micah, Bird & Dancer and other minor characters. Few were the ones I loved to hate but still good characters.

World and Setting-


I loved the world created by Cinda Williams Chima, it was one of my favourite things in these books. We had a very good history behind the whole rivalry and magic system in society.

I loved the politics and author did a great job in explaining whys of the whole Wizard/Clan dynamic.

Overall -

Loved the plot, setting, somewhat loved the characters and the whole premise was excellent.

The pacing was very slow, especially in the first two books. My favourite book was definitely the last one 'The Crimson Crown', it was a great ending to this series.

Ratings(out of five) -

The Demon King - ✫✫✫✫
The Exiled Queen - ✫✫✫✫
The Gray Wolf - ✫✫✫✫
The Crimson Crown - ✫✫✫✫✫

What about you guys? Do you like this one or there were few things that bothered you too? Which one was your favourite book in the series?

0 comments:

Post a Comment